Thursday, January 03, 2008

I'm not going to apologize for not writing here for a couple of months, as that gets old after a while. Let's just say that I hope to make this a habit again - I've missed writing here and now that my schedule has evened out and I'm in a job where I have more time for me, I think there is a distinct possibility that blogging will enter my life again.

Unfortunately, one of the two things that has prompted me to write this morning is a bit of sad news - partiers broke into Robert Frost's home in Vermont and vandalized it. An interesting note at the end of the article in Shelf Awareness was that the publisher for An Arsonist's Guide to Writer's Homes in New England immediately claimed that they had no part in the event. One of the many questions that pops into my mind is "How does he know that?". When you put a book full of ideas out there, how do you know whether your book planted the seed that led to that event. You don't.

My other thought is, "Who thought of such a screwed up idea for a book?" - but that is another entry, as they say.

(I've included the article below - as mentioned, it is from Shelf Awareness.)

Notes: Frost Home Vandalized; Store Reopens After Fire

Barbarians stop by woods on a snowy evening.

Robert Frost's former home in Ripton, Vt., was ransacked last weekend when 50 or more people broke into the historic site for what police called "an underage-drinking party," according to the AP.

The vandals "broke a window to get into the two-story wood frame building--a furnished residence open in the summer--before destroying tables and chairs, pictures, windows, light fixtures, and dishes. Wicker furniture and dressers were smashed and thrown into a fireplace and burned, apparently to provide heat in the unheated building. . . . empty beer bottles and cans, plastic cups, and cellophane apparently used to hold marijuana were also found . . . vandals vomited in the living room and discharged two fire extinguishers inside the building."

Something there is that doesn't love . . .

Some say the world will end in fire . . .

So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.


Incidentally Craig Popelars of Algonquin, which last fall published An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke, commented, "This is not our fault."

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home