Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Rules of collecting...???

Whenever I make the time to read Shelf Awareness, I always find something of interest that I want to share. Today it is a little tidbit about a fellow, Tim Toone, who collected a first edition of every book that J.K. Rowling published. His collection of 553 books is going up for auction next week and it is estimated that they collection may sell for as high as £40,000. I find the number rather surprising as J.K. Rowling hasn't stopped publishing... so essentially it isn't a complete collection... or would that not be taken into consideration? I guess I always assume that a person would collect an author that is a bit more established (I'm referring to length of time as an author. I'm obviously not judging this by number of books sold.) . Then again, the more I read this, the more I realize that my own assumptions are really coming into play here. Why shouldn't he collect a relatively new author - there is no rule that someone has to be dead before you start collecting their works. On the other hand, it seems like a bit more of a challenge to collect a particular author if they aren't still actively publishing books.

By my calculations, if he spent an average of £20 per book, then he has made a profit of over £28,000 - not a bad take, really. Perhaps I should start being more active in my husband's quest to collect Stephen King... ;-)

Original article

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If C is collecting Stephen King.... isnt this classed as an abduction???

Ohhhh - you meant the books.... oops!

Just because im lazy - what is the name of the book where they have a race and those who drop behind get shot???

12:48 PM  
Blogger Kyenta said...

No idea on the book... care to give me any more details? If it's King, I could ask C... I must confess I've only read 1.5 books + 1 short story of Stephen King's and am not that eager to read any more. They're not terrible - just not my cup of tea. Or maybe it's all my mother's fault when she took Pet Cemetary away from me when I was 9. :-) (have to admit, looking back, she was probably right)
xk

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home