Monday, November 20, 2006

The Great Mac 'n Cheese Search 2007 (in Vancouver)

Two good friends of mine are cheese-crazy - they both love cheese. I mean, REALLY love cheese. And they have great taste in cheese - he is the only person I know who has a raclette!! In their pursuit of great-tasting cheese, they have decided to begin a search for the best macaroni and cheese to be had in Vancouver. As they know, I love to find information - and am a fellow cheese lover - so they enlisted my help to figure out where they should start.

Below is the list I have come up with so far, although I'm sure I've missed a few. So I'm hoping people who read this post might comment on any other restaurants they know that also serve up a fine mac 'n cheese!! Also, I'd love hear about best experiences with mac and cheese and any great recipes - just 'cause I love to collect recipes.


Cru
Zin
Café S'il Vous Plait
Bistro 1734
Doll and Penny's Café
The Ocean Club
Johnny Fox's Irish Snug
Yaletown Brewing Company
Van Dusen Festival of Lights (Shaunessey Restaurant)
Romano's Macaroni Grill
Feenie's
Burgoo
Diner
Travelling Gourmet (a personal chef, in case they wanted to stay in for the night)
Salty Tongue Urban Deli
and for another night they may want to stay at home...
Les Amis du Fromage


In my search, I found some amazing recipes - esp. one on eGullet that included foie gras, white truffles, madiera sauce and un-holy amounts of cheese. I have also quickly learned that searching for info like this on your lunch break, while eating your tuna pasta salad, is not terribly fair to your tuna pasta salad. It makes anything you are eating for lunch taste like cardboard.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

K--

Next time you're in Portland OR, go check out the Montage. It's a cajun joint under the Morrison bridge. It has the best mac & cheese ever. A few different kinds, and you can get a half order of one kind and half order of another if you can't make up your mind. There's garlic; spicy; pesto (If I remember correctly) plus more.

Also, being the cheese-head you are, and I mean that in a nice way, go check out the new cheese shop in Park Royal, "Les Amis de Fromage" took over from "Cheese" this summer. And don't forget about the Holland Shopping Centre in New West.

xoc

4:56 PM  
Blogger Kyenta said...

Num! I'll have to taste that mac 'n cheese next time we're in Portland - that is, of course, if we can manage to get out of Powell's Books.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home