Monday, October 23, 2006

Some thoughts

So, this is going to be a bit of a connect-the-dots entry (as in, ramblings).

I'm walking home from the bus stop, when I spy a fellow walking and reading at the same time (I always notice this because I spent a good part of my childhood doing that, and probably still would if I weren't such a terrible clutz). As he gets closer, I realize it is a fellow who works with my husband and he is reading a book my husband leant him (Hey, Che, hurry up with that book! That one was next on my list of books to read. ;-) So, as he is approaching, I'm trying to think of something funny to say, to say hi and get a chance to thank him in person for the sympathy card that he and his girlfriend gave us - and I think of something. Just before he passes me, I say, "Hey, hasn't anyone told you that it is dangerous to do that?". This elicits a hearty laugh from both of us... as he continues walking without breaking step. Oh well, maybe I'll get to chat with him next time. Must be a good book! Probably just as well, I've never been much of a master of conversation - why else do you think I work in a library? :-P

The book he was reading, Monster Island, reminded me that I wanted to mention the fabulous book I am reading. I am close to finishing The Professor, the banker and the Suicide King : inside the richest poker game of all time. It is a very well written book, for both those who are familiar with the game and those who are still learning about it. I am like the thousands of other people out there who read about poker now that it has reached popularity. This is the second book about poker that I have read (that isn't a poker how-to book). The first was Positively Fifth Street. Anyway, this book is about Andy Beal, a Texas banker who takes up poker as a hobby, but has the luxury of being to play using really large blinds. He also has the type of personality that doesn't just take something up as a casual hobby - he learns about it and learns to perfect his skill at it. Only at that point will he move on. He uses his ability to bet the big money as one of his strategies, hoping to take the pros out of their comfort zone by trying to play $50,000 and $100,000 blinds. The book also provides an introduction to a number of poker 'stars' and personalities, along with some history of the game. Great read - I highly recommend it.

Ok, on to the next (and last) topic. Seeing Che walking home also reminded me that I meant to post something related to my post on Friday night. Specifically, Claude and I were talking on Friday and decided on a Google Maps hack that we would love to put together*... we think it would be of great use to the prospective home owners of Vancouver to combine a the weekly Crime Maps from the Vancouver Police Dept. and the MLS listings of properties for sale onto an interactive Google Map. Probably wouldn't be much liked by Tourism Vancouver or local realtors, but... oh well. While we were talking about this, Claude mentioned that Che had just completed his own Google Maps hack - which I think is very cool - and very appropriate for the time of year. So I hereby command everyone to go look at Che's oh-so-cool hack... www.chemcnabb.com. Yay, Che!

Hey, if anyone knows of any other cool Vancouver Google Maps hacks, please let me know about them - I love this kind of stuff.

Anyway, this is the end of my ramblings. Time to go watch some Friends and have some dinner.

* The likelyhood of Claude and I actually managing to work on a Google Maps hack right now is pretty slim what with every other project we are trying to finish. Oh well, someday, right? :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home