Thursday, August 18, 2005

Bye Bye Bees

Tonight CompuMonkey (my husband and henceforth known as CM) and I did the final kill on the bee hive that is on our patio. Although I am not a fan of killing or destruction, it was nice to finally feel safe going out on our patio.

About a month ago we noticed that bees were flying out of a hole from under an old, large planter box in a corner of our patio. We noticed it the day after we were in an accident, so we were more concerned with our health and our totalled car (thank dog we are fine physically - car not so much).

Up until about a week and half ago we left the hive alone and in that time it really grew. By the time we had the bandwidth to deal with the problem, the hole from under the planter was the bee equivelent of the 401. We hummed and hawed about what we were going to do - we are both wusses when it comes to being stung by insects. We called pest control services and bee collection groups. It was going to cost about $250 to collect the bees, which sounds very humane, but apparently they die anyway because of the shock from being moved. And living BC that was the only option to us as we were told it is illegal to kill certain types of bees in BC.

To make a long story short, we made our second assault tonight with a second can of pesticide and I think they are almost all dead. At least their hive is now exposed too, so those who are still alive will likely move on. I have to admit that looking close up at the hive is pretty cool. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to take a picture and post it.

Sorry bees, but I am not so tolerant of bugs that will harm me. Besides my tree that is right beside your former home is dying - and that is supposed to be our Christmas tree this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home